Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

today’s rant: open mouth, insert foot? fuck that, originally 5/24/08

earlier this week, a discussion began in my department at work about ted kennedy and his trist with cancer.  first and foremost, why does everyone who is diagnosed with cancer suddenly become brave?  when swayze was diagnosed, all the stupid supermarket checkout magazines (that serve a better purpose as toilet paper in 3rd world countries) said "patrick's brave struggle" or some shit like that.  let it be known that the prerequisite for bravery is getting cancer.  if that were truly the case, i'd be wearing microwaves as gloves while i'd run around jones beach naked during the summer months while an x-ray machine was being tugged right behind me.  i'd be braver than anyone in record setting time.

so the radio people talk about how the cancer is inoperable and that his choices would be chemo or radiation therapy.  one of the ladies in my dept said that he shouldn't have any treatment, i'm guessing so that he could preserve his dignity.  as a little humorous quib, i added that i agreed because "he looks freaky now, imagine him with no hair after chemo."  a minute later, i added that "he doesn't need therapy.  just give him a whole lot of orange juice."  it is at that point that another lady in my dept remarked about how insensitive i was.  later, when i thought back on the situation, i found humor that it was at the orange juice comment when she snapped at me.  orange juice?  that's what set her off?  me trying to remark about the potential health benefits, including cancer-fighting vitamins and anti-oxidants, of a cup of OJ every morning?  that's what set her off?

i came to the conclusion that it was my first comment that got her riled up and she was just looking for me to say something again so that she could go off on me.  unfortunately for her, it was the orange juice comment and she ended up looking like a silly goose.  i'm guessing that my comment about looking freaky after chemo therapy hit a little close to home for her.  maybe she knows someone with cancer, i don't know.  what i do know is that she has no sense of humor.  for the love of god, my aunt has cancer, too.  her kids made light of the chemo therapy by getting her funky wigs and other shit.  they know how to deal with things by using a sense of humor, so why can't she?  granted my sense of humor is pretty dark, as you may read through my old blogs, but let me leave you with this, my dear friends:  if we lose our sense of humor, the terrorists win.

No comments:

Post a Comment